Today we are living in a world where choosing which type of education we should follow next can be a difficult process. In recent times, our education system has seen many changes, changes that no one even imagined before. If we talk about today, no one can think about choosing the traditional education system, Because it seems almost impossible to attend the classroom physically. However, we still have infinite options, but not all of them are suitable for all students.
Hence, we are going to discuss the different advantages and disadvantages of the online and traditional education system, so that one can choose the most convenient option accordingly. As we know, the traditional system may have some limitations because of the physical presence, but in the online world there can be no such limitations and so new learning management systems can open up unlimited options:
Advantages of Online Education
Online learning allows ease of access so that the learners can access their classrooms whenever and wherever they want. Online education is so flexible for students to create a study plan accordingly as per their needs, Which they can manage across different platforms and devices, depending on the ease of availability at a particular time in a day. Hence, with online learning, there’s no need to compromise on other activities as there are no time and place factors involved.
- Personalized learning experience
In online learning, the way of teaching can be a little different, if the learners (including parents) and the teachers both do their jobs diligently, something remarkable can come to life. Lessons are taught in small groups to maintain the individuality of the students. With this method, A teacher can easily identify the mistakes and faults of their students and hence can maximize the output of their classes. Every activity done by the students, parents, and teachers can be tracked easily with help of a School Management software and Learning Management Software(LMS). This also allows them to set their learning pace accordingly and hence can interact with their teachers more confidently.
- Time and Cost-effective
If we talk about traditional learning, the student must be present in the classroom for every single lesson. Thus, to travel from one place to another adds up further expenses. These types of expenses can be rarely seen in online education. Every course offered by any school or an institute is of a specific time and the student would need to go through the timeline to reach the end. Online learning can bridge the gap for all the students as the learning methodology for every student is different, and every student learns at a different pace. As the whole course will always be available for the student at a significantly less price because online courses are for the masses, so the tutors can lower the cost of the courses without any difficulties because there is less infrastructure involved in providing online courses.
- A wide selection of courses:
Online learning platforms allow learners to choose the course of their interest moreover learners can further choose the teacher of their interest also before choosing that particular course. There’s a course for everyone, it doesn’t matter whether the student has just started his school or whether the learner is working at an executive post in his firm. The number of courses offered online through Learning Management Systems is truly limitless, Ranging from kindergarten learning to company level-specific courses for improvement in their position in the company, to get admission in an ivy-league college, or clearing any government exam.
Disadvantages of Online Education
- Every student who wants to learn with the help of online education must be self-disciplined and should never lack motivation. Online learning demands compromise with tasks.
- Unlike traditional education, it is not sufficient to have a notebook and a pencil to start learning. To study online, a good computer with a good internet connection is mandatory.
- Online learning can’t be a good option in some cases, such as in academics fields which mostly require practice, and can only be learned better in person.
- It is very important to study in a place far from distraction. A virtual environment is not enough to maintain the full concentration of the student.
Advantages of Traditional Education
- Sociability and Solidarity
Tradition education accompanies its followers with the loss of teammates or classmates. In this type of learning, the student never feels that he is alone and also recognizes that they are facing this academic challenge with their friends which further helps them in building confidence.
Traditional education, in general, allows learners to work in groups, such as projects, plays, sports, etc. Hence, through working in teams students can learn from each other which further helps them to come up with new ideas and stimulate creativity.
- Punctuality and discipline
Traditional education encourages students to attend classes and follow a strict timetable, thus helping them practice punctuality.
Disadvantages of traditional education
- There is zero flexibility in study hours, all the students must follow the same timetable.
- There are a lot of additional expenses in traditional learning rather than education, such as uniforms, stationery, extracurricular activities. And transport.
- Adaptive learning is nearly impossible in the case of traditional education. Since a teacher can adapt himself to one or two students but in the case of more than 30-40 students, it seems impossible. As every student has a different mindset.
In the end, the choice is in your hands. However, it is not easy to adapt to a new environment, everything worthwhile takes time. Further, in conclusion, studying in an offline-online environment will only serve best for all aspiring learners.